Saturday, February 11, 2012

Beethoven, Op. 18, No. 4, and Haydn, Op. 77, No. 2

I only played two quartets last night: we were all tired, and one of the violinists was on crutches, recovering from day surgery.  But they were two wonderful quartets, and I think we sounded particularly good.  Part of it was the skill of the players (helped out by the viola bow I'm trying out), but I think part of it is that my living room has really good acoustics for chamber music.  We could really get a clarity of sound when needed!

In selecting the program for this evening, I had prepared a bit of a musicological term-paper topic.  One of the violinists had expressed eagerness to play one of Beethoven's Opus 18 quartets (we played No. 4, in C minor), so I chose from among the few (!) remaining quartets in my Haydn project his last complete one, the Opus 77, No. 2, in F major.  (I didn't realize, until I was preparing this blog post, that this quartet had the nickname "Wait Till The Clouds Roll By".  I can find no explanation for this name: maybe one of you out there can help me?)

I don't know if this is true for everyone, but one tends to keep composers in memory in a kind of chronological order, like Haydn-Mozart-Beethoven.  But that is an oversimplification, and the two pieces from tonight show why.  Both were written in the period 1798-1800, while both composers were living in Vienna, and both were commissioned and dedicated to the same patron, Joseph Franz Maximilian Lobkowicz.  So the term-paper topic is, "compare and contrast these two string quartets".

Both composers are at the top of their form, I think.  Haydn could probably have gotten away with "phoning it in" to Lobkowicz, but there's no trace of that.  He continues his lifelong exploration of the string quartet, particularly noticeable in the distant keys he reaches in the development section of the first movement, and the shift from F major to D-flat major between the minuet and trio.  Beethoven seems to have delayed his attempt at string quartets, publishing a total of five string trios before the Op. 18, perhaps to make sure he was ready to tackle this already-venerated form.   I think he was definitely ready. :-)  This quartet is a thrill from beginning to end.  It's particularly interesting that the traditional "slow" movement isn't slow at all, but a kind of mixture of sonata and scherzo.

In comparing these two works, you can't even fall back on the rule of thumb, "Haydn writes minuets, Beethoven writes scherzos".  On the minuet-scherzo spectrum, the Beethoven 18/4 is definitely on the minuet side compared with the Haydn 77/2.  ("Scherzo" means "joke" in Italian, and Haydn certainly plays a joke on the viola in this movement.  I thought I'd have three chances to get my tricky rhythmic entrance correct, but as it turns out, I needed a fourth. :-)

I think the fundamental question is, can you tell the difference between a piece written by someone in his late sixties, as opposed to someone in his late twenties?  There's something indescribable in the Haydn that makes it seem like "old music" to me, particularly the beautiful slow movement.  And the Beethoven seems like "young music": in the last two movements he has the tempo increase near the end, which feels to me like a reflection of the impatience of youth.  But I'm not sure if that's just not some sort of projection on my part.  Listen to the pieces and let me know what you think!

P.S.  For those of you keeping track at home, the Haydn Quartet Project stands at 59 played, only nine to go!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Michael,

    At first I thought "Wait Till the Clouds Roll By" might be a movie situation like the way one sees "Elvira Madigan" placed next to the Mozart piano concerto 23 (the music was used in the movie of that title), but no, it turns out that instead there is an old English song called "Wait Till The Clouds Roll By" and it is because of the similarity between the opening phrase of the quartet and this song that the quartet has been nicknamed 'Wait Till The Clouds Roll By." Hmm, wonder if Haydn heard the song during one of his English visits and it inspired him? Reference: http://www.archive.org/stream/populartitlesand010474mbp/populartitlesand010474mbp_djvu.txt

    Re composer age, I suspect the calm, decent Haydn always sounds older and the incandescent Beethoven always younger. It's more a question of temperament than physical age.

    You're doing a great job with the blog; keep it up!

    Readers: if you would like to see a complete list of films about the lives of composers, just click on my name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, actually no. 21. I have a cd that includes both and got them confused.

      Delete
  2. Rick,

    With respect to "Wait Till the Clouds Roll By", that makes sense: I can see the similarity between that song and the opening of the quartet. But looking into it further, it seems the song was written about 100 years after the quartet, so I think the "borrowing" may have gone the other way.

    I disagree with you about composer temperament always trumping composer age. For example, I don't think anyone could listen to one of the late Beethoven string quartets, say Op. 132, and think it was the work of a young man. But I definitely believe that composers have a personal style that is more or less consistent as they age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael,

    I was introduced to your blog by a student that I met in a high school geometry class that I taught some tears ago. (You can ask her about that at your regular Thursday dinner!)

    The format is really appealing. The way you provide links to listening experiences within your commentary is a great feature. Hearing the music that you are discussing while reading about it at the same time adds to the enjoyment of and appreciation for the audio-visual experience.

    How you relate the pieces of music to your performance of them provides a glimpse of your love of the art form. Coupled with your thoughts on the composers as well as their compositions, this additional intimate touch encourages further exploration of the related literature as presented in print for reading and as recorded for listening.

    I'll look forward to more reading and listening here. Your efforts have provided another source of entertainment and education. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Although "tears" may also apply, what was intended was "years." (My editing and typing skills both need work!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Before reading the replies, I also found the wonderful parlor song, "As the Clouds Roll By." The music and history of the song is discussed here: http://www.lizlyle.lofgrens.org/RmOlSngs/RTOS-CloudsRoll.html
    and I enjoyed singing it here in my hotel room in Austria. It was published in 1894. Perhaps a new English edition of the Haydn quartets were published shortly thereafter.

    I agree with the other comments - your understanding of musicology and technique combined with the description of the chamber music experience makes for a wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete