Monday, January 30, 2012

Mozart Violin Sonata in D major, K306

Continuing the both the Mozart birthday celebration and the Mozart violin sonata cycle, last night was the Mozart Violin Sonata in D major, K306, the last of the set published as Opus 1. 

Neither DG nor I were in our best form last night: he'd had a very long and busy day, which used up much of the brain power he applies to his amazing sight reading.  And I was using my backup viola bow, since both of my other bows are off being rehaired.  Bows do actually make a difference!

Still, a wonderful sonata from beginning to end.  There's a great Haydn-esque touch in the first movement, with the themes scrambled in the recap: we don't get a reprise of the first theme until nearly the end.  The second movement is beautiful, even by the standard of Mozart slow movements, and the last movement is just pure fun, particularly the extended dual cadenza near the end.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed playing this piece with you and hope to do so again when we are both better rested. It is a clean and lovely piece, and I agree about the second movement. Thank you for providing links to an excellent music video of Gil and Orli Shaham performing the piece.

    The resources that we have now to watch and hear players is really remarkable, so much better than when we were students. And to be able to hear a professional recording (and video) of almost any piece anywhere there is an internet connection is also amazing. I am currently in a hotel room in Austria.

    I think the Shaham YouTube video is superior - the beautiful drawing room, the musicianship and also the high technical quality of the camerwork. I wonder how many cameras were recording, but the choices of angle, the intelligent closes-up of the piano keyboard and the smooth panning suggest a professional crew.

    The only downside that I can think of:
    It makes me wonder who will buy CD recordings of Mozart when you can watch such videos for free. But this is a new world, and the artists and recording companies will have to find other sources of revenue. Classical CD sales was never particularly lucrative and remains a publicity tool more than a revenue source.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true, we have so many more resources today than we did as children: it's amazing how much the Internet has improved our lives, when you come to think of it. But I think your concern about people not buying music because they can watch it on YouTube is unfounded. I bought the Shaham recording of these six Mozart sonatas on iTunes precisely because I saw the videos on YouTube!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aha, marketing.
    You certainly won't buy something if you don't know it exists and the YouTube videos build brand recognition.

    ReplyDelete